Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lucky Bee 13

April Bee Blocks for Lucky Bee 13 

and All Members of NYC MetroMod Are Invited to Participate

My niece, a quilter who lives in France and a volunteer for the  second International Festival of Extra Ordinary Textiles in Clermont-Ferrand has invited our guild to participate. Our task is to create a modern quilt that will be used during picnics to be held in the Jardin Lecoq park.  (The picnics will be done "flash mob" style with people showing up, a quilt under their arm.  Then when a text message arrives the quilts will be opened and spread on the grass!)  Ultimately all quilts will be auctioned off to benefit Doctors Without Borders.

In keeping with the Festival's theme, this event requires that quilts be made of recycled fabrics.  I have been gifted old sample upholstery/pillow/drapery fabric
which I will give to each member of Lucky Bee 13.  Additionally, I will give any member of the guild fabric, providing you make 4 blocks (4.5x8.5) and send them to me by May 10.  Quilts must be postmarked by July 31.  The festival runs Sept 20-28.

I am requesting four blocks similar to this photo.  The fabric is not as easy to work with as cotton!!!

 
If you are not in my Bee and wish to participate, please comment here.  I will 
bring packets to the April Meeting.  Hope there are some takers!

11 comments:

  1. I would love to participate Margaret! Such a fun idea. Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in Margaret!
    What a great idea. And Doctors Without Borders It is my favorite charity, and I love upholstery fabric!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Margaret! Would you like additional fabric donations? Have some "non" traditional stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jody. The whole quilt is not yet planned out. Please bring to the next meeting!

      Delete
  4. What fun! I think we need to plan a road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! So, do we need to provide our own fabric, or you want us to use yours exclusively?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will provide all the fabric needed but have no objection to substitutions.

      Delete
  6. What a terrific plan! I would love to contribute- thanks for involving the whole guild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to participate in this fine project. Do you need more decorator fabric? I have many gorgeous samples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Helen. I'll get a packet ready for you. Right now I don't need any more fabric samples but
    I know who to turn to if I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project Margaret, glad to be part of it. The flash mob picnic sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete